Safety is a core value at Newmont and our commitment to reaching zero harm is central to building a safe, profitable and responsible business. Whether you are at work or home, preventing accidents requires both attention and preparation.
Recently, our partners at the American Red Cross released a new collection of apps for smartphones that provide life-saving information and tools on how to respond to emergencies. Below are some of these new apps with explanations from the Red Cross on why these should be the next apps you download to your phone to stay safe, no matter where you are:
- EMERGENCY APP The all-inclusive Emergency app combines more than 35 emergency alerts to help keep the user safe. This latest app from the Red Cross provides information on what to do in case of floods, thunderstorms, hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, wildfires and more. The emergency alerts are available for the user’s location and to monitor where friends and family live. A single map provides open Red Cross shelter locations and weather information.
- FIRST AID APP This app is an easy way to find lifesaving first aid instruction anytime, anywhere. Features include step-by step instructions, videos and animations for first aid scenarios, a 9-1-1 call button and hospital locator, as well as safety and preparedness tips for a range of conditions including severe weather and disasters.
- PET FIRST AID APP This app puts veterinary advice for everyday emergencies in the palm of your hand. The app features simple step-by-step instructions to guide you through everyday emergencies with your pet. Users will learn first aid steps for more than 25 common pet situations.
- SWIM APP Help your child become a confident swimmer with the Red Cross Swim App. It puts the Learn-to-Swim program in the palm of your hand, helping you to learn about water safety and how to teach your child to swim. The app has features specifically designed for children, including a variety of games, videos and quizzes.
- MONSTER GUARD Sponsored by Disney, Monster Guard is the first mobile app created by the Red Cross that’s designed specifically for kids. Children (aged 7-11) role play as Maya, Chad, Olivia and other monsters as they learn how to prepare for real-life emergencies at home and in other environments in this fun and engaging game.
- TORNADO Receive weather alerts from the Red Cross whenever the NOAA issues a tornado watch or warning for your community – or any location where you have loved ones.
- HURRICANE Monitor hurricane conditions in your local area, throughout the storm track, and let others know you are safe even if the power is out.
- BLOOD APP The Red Cross has introduced a first-of-its kind Blood Donor App that puts the power to save lives in your hands. Through the app, users can schedule appointments, track total donations, earn rewards and invite others to join them on a lifesaving team. The Blood Donor App is a great new way to help meet the constant need for blood.
For a full list of Red Cross apps more information about their features, visit the Red Cross website.